Common Good Iowa

5. File a legal claim against your employer

You may sue your employer for violation of your wage payment rights. If your case is successful, you may additionally be able to recover legal fees from the employer. However, this option does carry risk. Litigation can be expensive, and you will still owe legal fees if the case is lost.

Iowa Legal Aid provides free legal support. Depending on the details of your case, they can assist with letters to employers, filing claims, or connecting you with an attorney. See their page on wage payment rights here.

Tips for success

  • Seek a lawyer with relevant experience. Check for mentions of employment and/or labor law. 

  • Provide every detail. You never know what will be helpful for your case.

  • Ask questions. You should be informed about your case and the legal process as it unfolds.

« Back

© 2024 Common Good Iowa. All rights reserved.