Common Good Iowa

4. File a wage claim with the Iowa Division of Labor

Especially when considering filing a claim with the Iowa Division of Labor (IDOL), we recommend discussing your situation with a professional first. IDOL claims typically take several months or longer to process, and fewer than half of claimants receive back pay through the process. A professional can help you confirm your employer has acted inappropriately, identify the necessary documentation, discuss the pros and cons of your response options, and submit your complaint.

Violation of Iowa’s wage payment and minimum wage laws can be reported to IDOL. Complaints of overtime violations can only be directed to the US DOL, and not IDOL, as Iowa does not have any state overtime laws.

Complaints filed with the IDOL are public record, meaning anyone can request information about your claim, and it is illegal for employers to retaliate against workers for filing complaints with IDOL. You can learn about filing a complaint with IDOL here.

Tips for success

  • Start by talking with a professional. Trained resource providers will help smooth out the process. 

  • Prepare your documentation in advance. This will save you time later on.

  • Respond promptly. IDOL will be in touch with you about your case, so be sure to check your email and make space in your voicemail. They will drop your case if you are not responsive.

« Back

© 2024 Common Good Iowa. All rights reserved.