Common Good Iowa

1. Talk to your employer directly

You may want to go directly to a manager or supervisor to ask for documentation or explain your concerns. In some cases, this is all that is needed in order to correct the situation. For many others, though, the employer may be unwilling to listen or even retaliate against the worker.

Tips for success

  • Bring your documentation. Keep separate copies of your documentation as well. 

  • Record the communication. Either use a written format like email or record the conversation. This is key evidence if the employer retaliates.

  • Know your ask. Whether you are looking for records or requesting back pay, have a plan for what you want from your employer.

  • Have a backup plan. If your employer won’t cooperate, you can still take any of the following actions in response to the violation.

« Back

© 2024 Common Good Iowa. All rights reserved.