Common Good Iowa

Contact your legislators

There are several ways you can connect with your state senator and representative. Make your voice heard by calling, emailing or sending a letter to your legislators. Here's how to get started:

First, look up the names of your state senator and representative using this tool. Then decide how you want to contact them.


Send an email (preferably from a personal, non-employer email account) to


Call the Senate switchboard at (515) 281-3371, and ask to be connected to your state senator or to leave a message. 
Call the House switchboard at (515) 281-3221, and ask to be connected with your state representative or to leave a message.

Not sure what to say? Feel free to start with this sample script:

“Hi, my name is [Name] and I'm a constituent of [Senator _____ ] from [City]. I'm calling to ask [Senator _____ ] to [make your ask clear, concise and respectful]."

Do adapt the message to reflect your experience, but remember, you will likely be speaking to switchboard staff who will write down your message, so keep it simple.


Address letters to:

The Honorable                           
Iowa (Senate/House of Representatives)
State Capitol
Des Moines, IA 50319

Begin correspondence to your senator/representative with the greeting:
Dear (Senator/Representative)                                                      

© 2021 Common Good Iowa. All rights reserved.